I've not been a good blogger. I've not kept my imaginary audience informed. I've not told you how the recent two weeks of trials and tribulations in my coding ventures have led me to the brink of despair. I've not allowed you to relish in my emotional turmoil and constant dis-ease. I've not elaborated as to how I am failing to grasp what seem to be the most rudimentary elements of Object Oriented Programming.
I've not brought you along to share in my constant annoyances regarding how elementary Python seems to the thousands of other folks on the class forums responding to the minority of simpletons like myself who seem to all have the same trivial mishaps at the onset of each new problem set. I've not recorded these happenings for a new podcast in two weeks now.
For this, and my other shortcomings, I apologize.
Know, though, that despite the ongoing hardships that are my first seasoned attempt toward learning Python, I have persevered.
Yes, oh yes, in the face of danger and all the evil temptations to turn my back on the world of ones and zeros, the elusive and mystic matrix of all things awesome and beyond my former un-codeable comprehension, I have kept at it.
I have just completed week seven's work, though it took me multiple hours on each problem in the set.
The primary aspect that we've been focusing on both in week six and seven has been the creation of user defined classes. This has been very excellent and has paralleled some of the initial things that I learned about recursion...that being that you can initiate a recursive call on something and have it do that over and over without having to write out an iterative loop of coding.
In the case of classes, I've learned how to set up how a particular class of an object is initiated and then use that over and over with other classes using what is called inheritance. As the name implies, the sub-class inherits the traits of the primary class and uses them automatically instead of having to define them again.
It's pretty excellent, but was hell trying to wrap my mind around initially. The code we wrote for the problem set had to do with initiating a randomly sized grid and having a 'robot' clean the tiles on the grid. We had to set up classes for the room itself, and the different types of robots which varied in their behavior on the grid (namely, how often they switched directions). I am finding more and more that the bulk of the work in programming at the stage of learning where I am is simply figuring out conceptually what exactly it is that needs to happen.
I've got a lot of the basics down and there will be no more new tools introduced in the course at this point, but it's the implementation and application of what we've been introduced to that is quite the challenge at each step of the way. I believe to encourage my sanity along, I'll have to amend and adopt (or in this case, append and implement) the old adage to read: One Line at a Time.
Angela and I will be back in the studio to record episode 5 of the podcast after the Thanksgiving break. Look for it next week!